Doina-Cristina Rusu works at the Centre for Logic, Philosophy and History of Science (University of Bucharest). Her doctoral dissertation “From Natural History to Natural Magic. Francis Bacon’s Sylva sylvarum” (Radboud University Nijmegen and the University of Bucharest, 2013) discusses the relation between natural history and natural philosophy in Bacon’s last writings, with a focus on the influence of the magic tradition in Sylva sylvarum. She is also interested in the early modern concept of experimentation, the theory of matter and the method of commonplacing. Doina-Cristina Rusu earned her BA in Philosophy at the University of Bucharest in 2008. A year later she graduated with a Masters Degree from the same institution, with a thesis entitled “Therapeutically Sense of Experiment in Francis Bacon”.
As a member of the CNCS project From natural history to science: the emergence of experimental philosophy 2012–2015 (PN-II-ID-PCE-2011-3-0719), Doina-Cristina Rusu will focus on the way in which Renaissance natural magic and natural histories were influencing in Francis Bacon’s writings, with an emphasis on Sylva sylvarum. She is currently working on an article on the relation between Sylva sylvarum and the Magia Naturalis, written by Giambattista Della Porta. She will also bring an important contribution to the translation of Sylva Sylvarum in Romanian, as to the critical apparatus of this edition.
In 2012, Doina-Cristina Rusu attended and presented papers at international conferences: 3rd Bucharest Colloquium in Early Modern Science: Creative Experiments: Heuristic and Exploratory Experimentation in Early Modern Science, (Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, 24-25 March 2012)with a paper entitled Types of experiments and their function in Bacon’s “Sylva Sylvarum”. She coordinated a seminar on Century VII within the Princeton Seminar “Francis Bacon on natural history and natural magic: the mystery of Sylva Sylvarum” (Princeton University, 14-27 May 2012) and the reading group Bacon, Hooke, Sprat and the ‘inductive’ method” within the Princeton-Bucharest Seminar in Early Modern Philosophy (Bran, 30 June-04 July 2012).
Doina Rusu is currently writing an article on Giambattista Della Porta’s influence on Sylva sylvarum. The aim of this article is to show how Bacon was reading and using his sources and by this comparison to draw some light upon the Baconian conception of natural magic. This article proves that Bacon was not a mere transcriber of Della Porta’s Magia naturalis, as the existing literature claims. Much on the contrary, the borrowed experiments were carefully selected and transformed. Very important features are the addition of explanatory causes and the criticism of Della Porta’s experimental methodology. Moreover, through a detailed comparison of the two texts, it can be noticed that Bacon redefined crucial concepts for his natural philosophy and he draw the framework of his natural magic.
- “Francis Bacon, Building the natural histories of the invisible”, in Early Science and Medicine, vol. XVII, no. 1-2, 2012, pp. 112-133, ISSN: 1383-7427
- “Virtues and collaborative research in Solomon’s House”, in Re-Inventing Utopia, Science, Politics and Religion in Early Modern Europe, December 2010, pp. 59-73, ISSN: 1841-1401
- “Francisco de Vitoria, first advocate of Human Rights” (“Francisco de Vitoria, primul apărător al drepturilor omului”), in AEPADO, nº 10, December 2008
- “Mystical Experience in Orthodoxy” (“Experienţa mistică în Ortodoxie”), in AEPADO, nº 6, April 2008
- “Romanian Philosophy in Romania”, (“Filosofía rumana en Rumania”), in Kath’autón, nº. 1, 2007
- “Silvia Manzo, Entre la alquimia el atomismo, la teoria de la materia en Francis Bacon”, in Early Science and Medicine, vol. XVI, no 6, 2011, pp. 631-634, ISSN: 1383-7427
- “Modern disciplines and the transforming reception of a text – Aude Doody, Pliny’s Ecyclopedia. The reception of Natural philosophy”, in Society and Politics, Vol. 5, No. 2 (10), 2011, pp. 160-170, ISSN: 1843-1348
- “Casa lui Solomon sau Fascinatia Utopiei edited by Dana Jalobeanu”, in Revista Română de Filosofie Analitică, Volumul V, 10, Ianuarie-Iunie 2011, pp. 125-127, ISSN: 1844-2218
- “Noua Atlantidă începută de Lordul Verulam Viconte de St. Alban şi continuată de R.H., unde este prezentat un sistem de guvernare monarhică” („New Atlantis begun by the Lord Veruman Viscount St Albans and continues by R. H. Esquire where is set forth a Platform of Monarchical government”) with “Introduction”. Footnotes together with Dana Jalobeanu, in Casa lui Solomon sau Fascinatia Utopiei, edited by Dana Jalobeanu, All, 2011, pp. 55-169
- “O propunere pentru progresul filosofiei experimentale”, Abraham Cowley (“A proposal for the Advancement of Experimental Philosophy”) translation and footnotes together with Dana Jalobeanu, in Casa lui Solomon sau Fascinatia Utopiei, edited by Dana Jalobeanu, All, 2011, pp. 341-362